Mercury Retrograde in Libra, Sept. 26-Oct. 18 2021
Mercury Retrograde can bring annoying technology glitches, delayed or cancelled travel plans and appointments, and frustrating miscommunication. And….it also has a huge silver lining. It’s the best time of the year for all things “re”: re-do, re-plan, re-write (or edit), re-connect, repair, reflect.
This Mercury Retrograde is in Libra, making it an ideal time to reconnect with your partner (pre-schedule some fun date nights if you can!); to re-balance your own needs and the needs of those around you; and to reflect on your view of fairness.
Surprisingly, taken the same situation, “fair treatment” doesn’t mean the same to every person!
How Long Do Mercury Retrograde Effects Last?
Each Mercury Retrograde lasts approx. 3 weeks. But in practice, I find that most Mercury Retrograde related mishaps happen when Mercury slows down to a crawl and then stations – prepares to change direction – which is only 4-5 days on each end of the retrograde period.
Don’t feel like you have to be on high alert during the entire Mercury Retrograde – that would consume 9-12 weeks of your life every year!
But, pay attention to the warnings below right before and after Mercury changes direction (turns retrograde or direct). For this retrograde period, it’s Sept. 24-29 and Oct. 16-20.
The "re" activities - review, replan, reconnect - are great during the entire Mercury Retrograde.
What is Mercury Retrograde Shadow Period?
You may have heard of the Mercury Retrograde “shadow”. These are the Zodiac degrees that Mercury passes through directly at first, than retrogrades over when it u-turns, than passes through again once it resumes a direct course, making a zig-zag. The shadow period can start two weeks prior to Mercury Retrograde, and end two weeks after Mercury turns direct.
I view the pre-retrograde shadow period as the time to prepare for the retrograde, and the post-retrograde shadow as the time to reflect on any new learnings.
And now onto my tips for making the best of Mercury Retrograde:
Be Prepared for Possible Technology, Communication, or Transportation Problems:
First of all, slow down! Pace of life has been accelerating. Do you skim your email and occasionally miss important details? I know I do! A big part of me thinks that many Mercury Retrograde related issues are due to our own rushing.
But, just in case:
- Check fluids in the car and air in the tires
- Double-check your travel plans; give yourself some extra time to get to your destination
- Back up data on your phone and computer
- Remember to charge your phone
- Review important e-mails, including the distribution list, before you click “Send”! Sending sensitive info to the wrong recipient can easily happen during Mercury Retrograde ☹
- If you must sign any important documents, read the fine print
- If buying electronic devices or gadgets, save your warranty. Better yet, comparison-shop for big ticket items (electronics or vehicles) during Mercury Retrograde, and purchase after Mercury goes direct
- And (borrowed from the art of feng shui), clean all windows and mirrors for clarity of thought and communication.
If You Need to Sign that Contract, Buy that Car, or Start an E-Commerce Business...
Keep in mind these dates:
Oct. 1: Mercury square Pluto. Power struggles are possible. People might be pushing their own agenda. Sept. 30-Oct. 1 are particularly bad days to start an e-commerce business, purchase vehicles or electronics, or sign an important contract. Wait until October 3 or October 9.
Oct. 3: Mercury trine Jupiter. Success through writing, teaching, communication and presentations. Too bad it's a Sunday.... If you must start a Mercury-related endeavor during Mercury Retrograde, this is relatively decent day. Just proofread your documents and check the fine print.
Oct. 9: Sun and Mars conjoin Mercury. This is the only day during Mercury Retrograde when it’s actually good to START something related to communication, contracts, vehicles, electronics, or e-commerce.
Refresh Your Mental Space
Mercury rules thought patterns and communication, so it's a great time for a clean-up and refresh there:
- Delete old email messages, documents/files, and voicemail
- Unfollow any social media accounts that make you feel “down” or uninspired
- Re-write unhelpful scripts and stories running through your mind. So yes, maybe you went through two bad relationships in a row….but, does it really make you a failure in the love department? Or, were these relationships an opportunity to refine what you really need in a romantic partner?
Be intentional. Don’t let your fears create the outcome you don’t want. Visualize a different ending to your story – over and over, and with enough belief. Use the language of already being there. “And WHEN I get a better paying job (not if – when!), the very first thing I’m going to do is _______”. Write a social media post – the one you’re going to post a year from now, when you’re living the future you want. Save it and reread it often. You may very well be posting it for real some time soon 😊
Reconnect with Your Partner, or Rekindle a Friendship:
Mercury Retrograde in Libra is a fantastic time to rekindle a relationship or a friendship – or to deeply reconnect with your partner. Some possible ideas:
- Re-read old love letters (texts, emails).
- Dig out old photos, from when the relationship was just starting. With time, many relationships become more about practical matters than romance, so it’s a great chance to revisit what brought you together in the first place.
Rewrite and Edit - If you are a writer, Mercury Retrograde is a great time for editing your work!
Repair what’s broken – which may be physical items in your home, or your relationships.