Mars Retrograde in Gemini 2022-2023
MARS RETROGRADE Oct. 30 2022 – Jan 12 2023
An Update: Dec. 10 2022
October is such an eventful month this year. The Saturn-Uranus square is at its tightest, highlighting that events set in motion now can have a big impact on the world economy going forward. And, the eclipse season is about to kick in: we will start feeling its energies around October 19.
And, to add to all these big astrological happenings, Mars is about to turn retrograde. Mars goes retrograde once every 2 years and 2 months, the least out of all the planets. And so it’s the retrograde energy we’re least used to dealing with.
When a planet is retrograde - appearing to be orbiting backward as seen from Earth – it’s more difficult for that planet’s energy to express itself effectively. And when it’s Mercury, Venus or Mars, the themes represented by that planet tend to be magnified during the retrograde period.
One key feature of this retrograde is that Mars is involved in an extended square with Neptune for almost 2 months. More on that further in this post.
And, at the tail end, Mars Retrograde will overlap with Mercury Retrograde this year. Mercury Retrograde will be happening between Dec. 29 2022 - Jan. 18 2023. Mid December to Jan. 18 will be better spent on recharging (if you can), enjoying the holiday season, and welcoming the new year with a clean-up, rather than jumping into action.
What is Mars All About?
First, it's important to understand what Mars represents in our collective psyche, for us as individuals, and in terms of possible world events.
Mars is known as the planet of energy, drive, motivation and taking action. It’s the “doer” planet! It also shows our levels of assertiveness (which may be healthy or….not so much). And it shows how we deal with anger. Last but not least, Mars also represents sexual energy and libido.
When unchecked, Mars energy can lead to impatience, jumping into things too fast, and even to aggression.
Mars also rules (=is “responsible” for) surgeries, army and armed forces, athletics and athletes, building and builders, cutting instruments, dentistry, mechanics and mechanical engineers, and tournaments.
Some astrologers don’t recommend starting any new projects under Mars Retrograde, and this is a prudent caution. But, the stars don't control our life; they help us navigate it!
If you’re launching a business or starting a major project while Mars is Retrograde, build in some time to review your goals later (they may change). Also, be prepared that it might be off to a slower start than you would like. But ideally, wait until Mars is direct again.
Traditional astrology also doesn’t recommend new beginnings in the following areas when Mars is Retrograde:
- Elective surgery, including cosmetic and dental surgery (emergency surgery is OK)
- Initiating “war” – which can be new military action, but it can also be legal action, such as serving your spouse divorce papers, or initiating a lawsuit. Traditional astrology says, “Don’t go to war under Mars Retrograde – you will lose”. If you're fighting for a cause, and planning to file a petition, for example, Mars Retrograde is not the best time for that, either.
- Initiating conflict, either at home or at work, no matter how annoyed you feel. The conflict is likely to escalate or go off the rails. The initiator might “lose”.
There is a Machiavellian cosmic loophole here. If you want your opponent to lose, push them to start action against you when Mars is retrograde. (But hopefully you’ll decide to work out your conflict in a win-win manner).
How to Work with Mars Retrograde Energies:
Every planetary energy has its upsides. Here are a few things Mars Retrograde is excellent for:
- Revisit where your energy goes. and check for any "energy leaks". While our energy levels can be replenished, investing time and energy into something is much like investing your $$. Does your investment of energy support your goals?
- Re-evaluate what motivates you and stirs your passion. When Mars is out of retrograde, that's what you will want to pour your energy into.
- Strategize! If you’re planning to start a business, for example, this is an excellent time to pull back and revisit your goals and your strategy. And then initiate action when Mars Retrograde is over.
- Consider your relationship with anger and assertiveness. Do you approach every conflict heads-on? If yes, maybe it’s time to choose your battles. Or, do you shy away from conflict? Or maybe even engage in passive-aggressive behaviors? Mars Retrograde is a helpful time to work through these themes.
- Communicate your boundaries!
- And while we’re on the subject of anger: Mars Retrograde is an excellent time for anger management therapy.
- Bury the hatchet: if you're embroiled in a bitter, long-term conflict, now is a good time to end it and seek a peaceful resolution.
This Mars Retrograde is in Gemini: What It Means for You
Mars is spending over 7 months in Gemini, from August 20 2022 to March 25 2023 to be exact! Usually Mars moves through a sign in about 8 weeks. And when Mars moves through a House (=area of life) in your natal chart, you could find yourself directing a lot of energy into that area.
So this time around, one area of your life will be receiving or requiring attention over an unusual long period of time.
Check out where Gemini is in your natal chart. If you haven’t yet started investing time and energy into that area, chances are – you will once Mars turns Retrograde.
This House will also be the area where your goals can shift between Oct. 30 2022 and Jan. 12 2023. Strategize and make your plans, but it may be wise to initiate action in that area after Mars turns direct.
Mars Stations: 25 ° and 8 ° Gemini
When a planet is about to change direction, it “stations” (stalls) on the same degree of the Zodiac for a much longer period of time than usual.
If the degree a planet stations on activates your natal chart - for example, if you have natal planets at 25 and 8 degrees of Gemini, Libra, Aquarius, Pisces, Sagittarius, or Virgo – the following dates may be particularly important for you:
- Mars stations at 25 degrees Gemini: October 21 – November 9 2022
- Mars stations at 8 degrees Gemini: January 1-25 2023
Mars-related themes could pop up in your life in a big way.
If you want to know how this Mars Retrograde is going to impact you personally, you can always book a reading with me.
Mars Square Neptune:
One big feature of this particular Mars Retrograde period is that Mars will form a square (butt heads) with Neptune 3 times. Because Mars slows to a crawl when it changes direction, the first two squares will blend into each other: we will feel the Mars-Neptune energy for nearly two months, from Oct. 2 to Nov. 30.
Remember those passive-aggressive behaviours I mentioned? That’s what Mars-Neptune square can bring on. Watch out for intentional deception around the dates I mention below (and that can mean world events, too).
When Mars and Neptune don't get along, Mars-related pursuits can lose momentum, or there can be disillusionment with a cause or a battle (oh please let it bring the end to the war in the Ukraine!)
On the plus side, this energy can also bring compassionate action and a great desire to come to the defense of those in need.
Vitality can be lowered, and if you’re an empath, be aware that it can be easy for other people’s energy to infiltrate your energy field at this time. Work with smoky quartz, obsidian and tiger eye to keep your energy boundaries strong.
The Mars-Neptune square will become exact - at its most powerful - on the following dates:
- October 12 2022 (because Mars is moving so slowly around this date, the energy will be felt very strongly between Oct. 10-15)
- November 19 2022
- March 14 2023